Responsible for providing direct nutrition services including nutrition assessment, education, breastfeeding promotion and support, and development of nutrition care plans designed to meet the needs of WIC participants. The WIC Nutritionist will assist in determining the eligibility of program applications through the WIC Certification process. Additional responsibilities include: assisting in the preparation of nutrition materials and nutrition reports, assuring smooth operations at satellite sites, and performing outreach through educational activities for potential WIC participants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in determining the eligibility of program applicants through the WIC certification process
- Follows all policies and procedures required by Federal, State and Local WIC agencies
- Completes nutrition assessments to identify nutritional risks
- Provides nutrition education and develops care plans designed to address the clients’ risks
- Responsible for assigning appropriate food packages tailored for WIC participants
- Assists with meeting State and Local WIC objectives
- Collaborates with various CS-HHC departments as necessary
- Performs community outreach through educational activities (i.e. health fairs) when assigned
- Conducts in-service education to local staff and organizations as assigned
- Attends regular State and Local WIC meetings as scheduled
- Performs all other related duties as required (i.e. cross training in program side of the operation)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from a four (4) year institution accredited by a recognized regional accrediting body with a major in Food and Nutrition, Community Nutrition, Nutrition Education and/or Nutritional Sciences.
Having credentials as a Registered Dietitian (RD) or eligibility with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Commission on Dietetic Registration is desired; if applicable, has valid certification as a Certified Dietitian Nutritionist (CDN) in the state of CT.
Experience: One (1) year of experience working in a health agency in the field of nutrition is desirable. Breastfeeding experience and/or counseling experience preferred.
Knowledge/Abilities: Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are required. Must have the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment. Must have adequate computer skills. Ability to speak Spanish is desired.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center