|POSITION TITLE||REPORTS TO|
|Dental Assistant||Dental Assistant Supervisor|
|Hourly Non-Exempt||Required On Site|
|Full-Time, 40 hours|
|SITES AFFECTED:||Last Reviewed Date:|
|All StayWell Health Center Dental Sites||By: Department Director|
Supports dentist in delivering primary dental care, prepares equipment and workplace for use, and contributes to supportive atmosphere for dental patients. Uses chairside, four-handed dentistry techniques. The Dental Assistant is also responsible for sterilization, preparation, and inventory control of dental instruments and supplies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares treatment areas before and after each patient.
- Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
- Performs pre- and post-treatment setup / cleanup procedures for each patient according to StayWell Health Care’s Infection Control.
- Prepares patients for dental procedures by using effective communication skills for pre- and post-op procedures.
- Assists dentist at chairside using four-handed techniques.
- Performs independent patient services, as directed, including patient triage, radiograph, impressions, suture removal, temporary fillings, re-cement crowns and laboratory work.
- Maintains dental treatment area, equipment and instruments in proper working order.
- Strictly follows and maintains all Dental Department areas in compliance with all safety issues, exposure and infection control standards at all times.
- Exposes, develops, mounts and saves dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department directive and protocol.
- Observe radiation safety standards for staff and patients.
- Maintains Dental Department equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s directions and Dental Department policy and protocol.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive, Center policy as well as state and federal regulations.
- Ensures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment in accordance with Dental Department directive and protocol.
- Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
- Demonstrate respect and dignity for patients and staff at all times.
- Works as an effective team member to promote efficient patient care for maximum productivity.
- Updates MSDS and Infection Control Logbook as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
|· High School Diploma (or equivalent)|
|· Graduate of an accredited Dental Assisting school or two years dental experience in general dentistry|
|· Certificate in Dental Radiology by DANB|
|· Certificate in Infection Control by DANB|
|· StayWell Health Center will check the motor vehicle records annually for all current employees and all job applicants with driving responsibilities or those who use rental cars for business travel purposes.|
|· Unrestricted, valid Connecticut driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and current motor vehicle insurance according to legal specifications required|
|· In lieu of Connecticut driver’s license, reliable transportation required including the capability to travel between sites and/or attend offsite training, as necessary|
|· Basic Annual Safety Training|
- Employee is required to be free and clear of signs and symptoms or evidence of communicable diseases that could be expected to be transmitted during the course of normal scheduled work activity at medical, dental, and behavioral health center
- Receipt of completed Employee Health Certification required biannually including specific immunizations and appropriate frequency as determined by Regulatory Agencies confirming employee has been found to be in adequate mental and physical health and capable of performing the position title
Skills and Experience
- A commitment to preventive dental care
- Knowledge and interest in providing care to diverse patient population
- Knowledgeable about instruments, materials and techniques used for all procedures
- Able to handle confidential patient medical and financial records daily
- Maintain confidentiality of employee PHI according to StayWell policies
- Ability to attend to multiple tasks at the same time and to prioritize assignments and responsibilities to ensure compliance with established deadlines and protocols.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Bi-lingual English / Spanish strongly preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Requires good manual dexterity and fine motor coordination, good vision, physical mobility and flexibility; good reflexes.
- Must possess sight and hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Moderate physical activity; requires standing and/or walking throughout the day. Must be able to push and pull; light lifting required.
- In this position, one may be exposed to communicable diseases and biohazards.
- May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of patients during emergency situations.
- Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, multi-line telephone, copier, fax server, document scanner, and other such office equipment as necessary
- Requires ability to work in a stressful dental office environment where interaction with others is constant and interruptive
- May be exposed to patients who have low impulse control, and angry temper outbursts requiring safety precautions and measures
- Work is normally performed in a typical dental office work environment
- The work environment involves the normal risks and discomforts typical of a community health center
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 – $20.00 per hour