The Psychiatrist maintains responsibility for psychiatric consultation of the BHD site(s) assigned. The Psychiatrist will work in collaboration with Program Director(s) of site(s) to deliver appropriate clinical services and treatment planning. Works to lead multidisciplinary team to provide direct service and supervision of/consultation to staff. Will collaborate with mid-levels as assigned by the Medical Director.
CS-HHC’s Expectations of all Employees
- Adheres to all CS-HHC Policies and Procedures
- Conducts self in a manner that represents CS-HHC’s Values at all times
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all work-related contacts
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about Departmental and CS-HHC concerns
- Consistently reports to work on time, prepared to perform the duties of the position
- Meets productivity standards and performs duties as workload necessitates
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews clinical aspects of ongoing Behavioral Health programs working cooperatively with the Medical Director
- Maintains and provides a model for psychiatric standards of practice and quality of care
- Reviews treatment plans and treatment plan reviews for appropriate/effective quality care
- Performs evaluations, crisis intervention, individual, group, family therapy and/or medication management as needed to meet the needs of client population and the clinic. Utilizes a range of clinical interventions appropriate to the population while maintaining high levels of client satisfaction
- Assists with emergencies to protect the safety of the client and the safety of the staff
- Appropriately documents all clinical and administrative work
- Meets productivity standards
- Evaluates data relating to the bio-psychosocial consequences of physical and emotional illness, disability and/or substance abuse
- Telephones/pages/emails accessibility as needed. Covers for colleagues as needed
- Responsible for supervising APRN’s/clinical staff assigned by Medical Director
- Participates in team meetings and consultations as directed by the Medical Director and/or Program Director
- Provides education and consultation to staff regarding psychopharmacology, psychiatric assessment, special populations and other relevant topics as appropriate
- Establishes and maintains good relationships with clinic staff, other HHC departments, medical staff, and community agencies. Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies
- Demonstrates competency in standards of psychiatric care
- Conscientious work ethic, professionalism and accountability
- Provides assistance during periods of agency need and accept new assignments
- Participates in Peer Review
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies and skill sets:
Skill Set; Communications
Oral Communication – The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Speaks clearly and can be easily understood. Organizes ideas clearly in oral speech. Expresses ideas concisely in oral speech. Summarizes or paraphrases his/her understanding of what others have said to verify understanding and prevent miscommunication.
Written Communication – The ability to express oneself clearly in business writing. Expresses ideas clearly and concisely in writing. Organizes written ideas clearly and signals the organization to the reader (e.g. through an introductory paragraph or through the use of headings). Writes using concrete, specific language. Spells correctly. Writes grammatically. Uses punctuation correctly.
Interpersonal Awareness – The ability to notice, interpret, and anticipate others’ concerns and feelings, and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others. Understands the interests and important concerns of others. Notices and accurately interprets what others are feeling, based on their choice of words, tone of voice, expressions, and other non-verbal behavior. Understands the unspoken meaning in a situation. Says or does things to address others’ concerns.
Customer Orientation – The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external and/or internal customers. Quickly and effectively solves customer problems. Talks to customers to find out what they want and how satisfied they are with what they are getting. Lets customers know he/she is willing to work with them to meet their needs. Helpful, positive manner with peers, subordinates and customers.
Skill Set; Achieve Results
Technical Expertise – The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in key work process areas. Is sought out as an expert to provide advice or solutions in his/her area. Is knowledgeable in the tools used to support key work processes. Can train and coach key work processes to staff in their area. Is aware and follows agency policy and procedures consistently.
Initiative – Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it. Seeks out others involved in a situation to learn their perspective. Takes independent action to change the direction of events.
Results Orientation – The ability to focus on the desired results of one’s own work, setting challenging goals, focusing efforts on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them. Maintains commitment to goals in the face of obstacles and frustrations. Finds or creates ways to measure performance against goals. Has a strong sense of urgency about solving problems and getting work done.
Thoroughness – Ensuring that one’s own work and information are complete and accurate. Sets up procedures to ensure high quality of work (e.g. review meetings). Verifies information. Checks the accuracy of own work. Develops and uses systems to organize and keep track of information or work in progress. Carefully prepares for meetings and presentations.
Skill Set; Self- Management
Stress Management – The ability to continue to function effectively when under pressure and maintain self- control in the face of hostility or provocation. Remains calm under stress. Can effectively handle several problems or tasks simultaneously.. Controls his/her response when criticized, attacked, or provoked. Maintains an appropriate sense of humor under difficult circumstances.
Personal Credibility – Demonstrated concern that one be perceived as responsible, reliable, and trustworthy. Does what he/she commits to doing. Is honest and forthright with people. Takes responsibility for own mistakes; does not blame others. Conveys a command of the relevant facts and information.
* Competencies sourced from “The Value Added Employee” by Edward J Cripe and Richard S. Mansfield, Copyright 2002 by Workitect Inc.
Education: M.D. licensed in State of Connecticut to provide psychiatric services. Must be Board certified or eligible. Must be CPR certified.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years experience working with assigned population. Experience may include internship/residency/fellowship.
Knowledge/Abilities: Knowledge and competency regarding diagnosis, assessment and treatment of behavioral health services. Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal. Ability to generate high levels of client satisfaction. Ability to work with interdisciplinary team. Must demonstrate age specific/population specific competencies in area(s) of practice. Knowledge and skills related to individual, group and family system dynamics. Must demonstrate cultural competence.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand or sit for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal to high volumes of stress.
Travel within the State of Connecticut is required on an occasional basis.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center