Patient Service Associate (PSA)
- SUMMARY Under general supervision with latitude for independent initiative, the Patient Service Associate (PSA) works closely with patients and clinical teams to create positive patient experiences in support of StayWell Health Center’s (StayWell) mission delivering high quality comprehensive services. The Patient Service Associate will adhere to all StayWell’s policies and procedures to welcome patients in a professional and respectful manner, assisting in the registration process, facilitating exceptional patient access to care through provider schedule management, and addressing timely collection of patient payments.
- PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES – Performs responsibilities and duties according to StayWell’s Front Desk policies and procedures to meet expectations of key performance indicators (KPI) Delivers and demonstrates a high level of customer service to communicate in a positive, professional and effective manner with clients, staff and external customers Answers incoming external and internal calls promptly with a positive and professional manner, assessing the needs of the caller and facilitating resolutions according to StayWell’s communication policies and procedures, including referring triage calls to nursing staff Facilitates patient flow utilizing the practice management system to register, verify visit information, check-in and check-out, and communicate with clinical staff to ensure timely patient visits Explains financial responsibilities to patients and collects co-payments, payments, and outstanding balances for rendered services. Prepares and balances collections for deposit daily Reviews and manages daily provider schedules to anticipate for back-fill opportunities, scheduling errors, previsit patient responsibilities or lab work, demographic updates, insurance eligibility, and co-payments Schedules patients appropriately and accurately per established policies, procedures, and patient preferences while utilizing patient messaging systems to confirm, cancel, and reschedule appointments Demonstrates the knowledge and proficiency necessary to provide appropriate scheduling and appointment guidance for all StayWell services suitable for the full lifespan of the patients served at StayWell Supports patients in the completion of appropriate forms and reviews for accuracy and completeness Accurately enters and updates demographic, UDS, and payer data in practice management system and scans all required documentation efficiently and timely Demonstrates a compressive knowledge of StayWell’s Sliding Fee Discount Program (SFDP) and application process Collection and verification of insurance coverage and payer eligibility utilizing the Automated Eligibility Verification (AEV) resource in the Practice Management System. Plans may include commercial and private insurances, Medicaid, Medicare, and the Sliding Fee Discount Program Answers questions about StayWell and informs patients about all available services while facilitating internal referrals across departments Greets visitors to determine reason for visit and destination, directing guests to sign-in and issues visitor passes when required Understands and adheres to all StayWell safety policies and procedures, inclusive of infection control rules and regulations Trains for and maintains flexibility pertaining to interagency cross-coverage to meet the needs of the Practice Management department across all locations, services, and shifts Continually advances a personal knowledge of skills and understanding that demonstrates a cultural sensitivity and competent approach to the patients and community StayWell serves Observes and adheres to applicable regulations, policies, and procedures concerning HIPAA, employee confidentiality, and privileged communications at all times Performs other related duties as assigned by the Practice Manager QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or equivalent Minimum one year experience working in a community health center and/or healthcare office setting. Bilingual fluency preferred, not required SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE Requires ability to handle frequent patient contact in a courteous and helpful manner Requires the ability to work with moderate supervision Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing Good decision making and judgment Ability to remain calm in all situations Ability to apply good judgment in handling patient concerns and interacting with patients from diverse cultures and backgrounds Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, physicians, and other employees Must be able to work both as a member of a team and independently Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new programs Ability to demonstrate initiative, dependability and promptness Ability to perform frequent repetitive work with attention to detail Demonstrates behaviors that promote positive customer relations with staff, patients, and visitors WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS Work may require sitting for long periods of time, stooping, bending, and stretching Requires ability to work in a stressful office environment where interaction with others is constant and interruptive Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, multi-line telephone, copier, fax server, document scanner, and other such office equipment as necessary May be required to carry manuals, forms, or other office supplies May be exposed to patients who have low impulse control, and angry temper outbursts requiring safety precautions and measures Work is normally performed in a typical/office work environment The work environment involves the normal risks and discomforts typical of a community health center.
- Competitive salary
- No-cost medical coverage
- No-cost life insurance
- Ten (10) paid holidays annually
- 20 PTO days annually
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Optional supplemental coverage (short- and long- term disability)
How to Apply
Location:StayWell Health Center Waterbury