The Patient Registrar Insurance Clerk is responsible for validating patients’ billing information, selecting and completing the insurance coverage information for the patient in their quest to access medical care. Calling or verifying online verifications for Commercial insurance companies where patients have accounts, Medicare, and Medicaid, to verify and obtain information concerning insurance benefits accruing to them. Determine if patients’ insurance is compatible with their company’s health-care programs or not, and if it does, work with the patient in getting maximum benefits from the program. Updates and re-files patients’ claims, re-verify patient’s current insurance, and find out if a patient’s insurance benefit plan takes into consideration all selected products needed by the patient.
CS-HHC’s Expectations of all Employees
- Adheres to all CS-HHC Policies and Procedures
- Conducts self in a manner that represents CS-HHC’s Values at all times
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all work-related contacts
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about Departmental and CS-HHC concerns
- Consistently reports to work on time, prepared to perform the duties of the position
- Meets productivity standards and performs duties as workload necessitates
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for reviewing patients’ case and insurance coverage information to personalize the call contents to the patient.
- Choose the right HARP internal software insurance code following information provided on patients’ insurance.
- Study patients’ scanned requisition record and input all information relating to insurance coverage.
- Take and verify all patients’ demographic information when registering them for the service or program.
- Identify important patient and demographic information that are missing and inform client about them to avoid claim processing issues with the insurer.
- Establish contact with the ordering physician’s office or customer service department to resolve issues concerning missing vital information from patients scanned requisition record.
- Ensure timely processing of benefit information and seek assistance from management when necessary.
- Work cordially in a team and participate in meetings, sharing ideas and information.
- Ensure all inpatient files are available for daily verification of insurance benefits by printing census.
- Remove and forward discharged patients’ files to the Business Office where they are processed.
- Assure pre-certification and benefits on all patients, for Specialties and Primary Care
- Using DDE, perform verification of Medicare coverage and limits on all Medicare accounts of Medicare patients.
- Acquire billing information by verifying Worker’s Compensation accounts and MVA.
- Contact clinical staff for patient’s clinical information if it is needed by the insurance provider for the admission to be certified.
- Seek patients Medical records and current pharmacy vendor prior to visit.
- Educate patients on providing current medication lists prior to patient’s appointment.
- Back-up to Front Desk Registrar’s when needed
Education: High School Diploma/GED required. Bachelor’s Degree in Community Health Education or Public Health with a concentration in Health Education, or a Bachelor’s Degree in Health Education related field is preferred. CHES eligible or certification highly desirable.
Experience: At least one (1) year of experience in health or related field required.
Knowledge/Abilities: Excellent customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively and in a confidential manner. Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and written and verbal communications skills are essential. Excellent typing and computer usage skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency. Familiarity with Microsoft, Internet and E-mail is necessary. Ability to multitask while maintaining a calm, organized demeanor. Knowledge of drug cards, medical insurance terminology, medical benefits, and billing process. Experience with patient assistance and government programs. Bilingual ability is desirable.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Travel within the State of Connecticut is required on a regular basis with occasional travel outside the State.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center