Provides psychiatric assessment and medication management. Provides psychiatric clinical care and services to patients as assigned and as qualified to perform. Function as a fully accountable colleague and provider.
1. Conduct initial psychiatric evaluation
- Conduct mental status examinations and pharmacological evaluations
- Prescribe medications, teach clients about side effects and monitor response to prescribed medications
- Provide recommendations for treatment plans, review and sign treatment plans and treatment plan reviews
- Provide services to clients based on current status, risk, and as clinically indicated
- Use collaborative documentation procedures for assessment and individual sessions with clients; communicate regularly with primary healthcare providers
- Liaison with providers to conduct assessments, provide to guidance and direction on patient care
- Work in collaboration with the client and the care team to support recovery goals
- Complete progress notes, significant events, referrals, and evaluations within expected timeframes
- Use EMR and data reports from EMR to track treatment progress and individual client outcomes
- Effect improvements in patient well-being through accurate and timely diagnosis and delivery of relevant, high quality, evidence-based psychiatric care. Ensure the delivery of competent, accurate psychiatric care and treatment to all patients as assigned.
- Meet or exceed all measurable standards of care, including overall clinical, quality, and productivity goals.
- Ensure accuracy, efficiency, and appropriate confidentiality with patient charting and related recordkeeping and administrative functions as assigned.
- Ensure the delivery of all psychiatric treatment and care is consistent with all regulatory, accreditation, and professional standards, including clinical policies and quality initiatives.
- Understand and ensure all practices and procedures related to the delivery of psychiatric services are consistent with contracted protocols and procedures.
- Develop and ensure favorable relationships with all patients and their families. Engage in and practice person-centered care, and ensure all patient services are delivered in a caring and professional manner.
- Develop and ensure ongoing, positive relationships and collaboration with other physicians, nurses, administrative and clinic operations staff. Ensure the success of each clinic operation through collaborative support and working relationships with all clinic operations staff.
- Ensure all actions, job performance, personal conduct and communications represent the organization in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Uphold and ensure compliance and attention to all corporate policies and procedures as well as the overall mission and values of the organization.
- Comprehensive psychiatric assessment; evaluating, diagnosing, and treating new and existing patient’s conditions.
- Prescribing and referring patients for specialized consultation when appropriate.
- Write prescription medicines for patients.
- Document in patients’ charts in a timely manner indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed.
- Conducting follow-up patient care.
- Providing health education to patients and families.
- Supervising and/or coordinating the activities of patient care and support staff within the health care center.
- Actively participate in community mental health education.
- Demonstrate a high level of skill at building relationships and customer service.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in managing difficult clients and patients.
- Demonstrate high degree of knowledge and competency in the practice of medicine and associated charting requirements.
- Requisite skills and ability to perform certain medical tasks as assigned
- Demonstrate a high level of problem solving skill to better serve patients and staff.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to utilize computers for data entry and information retrieval.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to implement, and evaluate operational and administrative processes
- Demonstrated expertise in relevant psychiatric practices, protocol, trends and best practices in clinical areas assigned.
- Experience/Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations and standards associated with the delivery of care in a community health center environment.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and emergency situations successfully.
- Proficiency in knowledge of office management, use of computer, software packages, and office machines.
- Fluency of English language, bilingual Spanish and/or Creole preferred.
Connecticut-Licensed psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner
Licensed in the State of CT as a psychiatrist
Certified by, or eligible to be certified by, the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Active DEA number
· Experience working with underserved, transient populations.
· Extensive experience working with people with mental illness, serious mental illness, and co-occurring substance use disorders, and primary health care problems
· Experience working with safety net providers within the community and knowledge of community resources.
- Demonstrated success with clear thinking and ability to reorganize as needed.
- Demonstrated success in working independently, prioritization and problem solving.
- Demonstrated success in organization abilities.
- Demonstrated success in computer skills including ability to use computer for scheduling, word documents and reasonable keyboard skills.
- Demonstrated success in customer service/patient services or working with the general public, preferably in a medical care facility.
- Demonstrated success in managing difficult customer situations.
- Significant knowledge of psychiatric practices and procedures in an integrated care environment.
Normal ambulatory care working environment. Sitting, standing and walking approximately 80% of the time. A medium to high level of manual dexterity required. Bending and reaching required. Normal overtime/extended work hours.
Blood borne pathogen exposure risk
Category II – Job classifications includes employees, which do not meet the occupational exposure definitions for bloodborne pathogens, but may have some risk of exposure while performing their job duties.
- Valid state medical license required.
- Valid DEA license and ability to prescribe medication required.
Norwalk Community Health Center Mission, Vision and Values
To provide quality, innovative care that enriches the lives our patients
To lead our community toward the achievement of the best possible health
The work of Norwalk Community Health Center is guided and informed by our beliefs and commitment to:
Compassion – we feel solidarity with our patients and our coworkers; we feel one another’s joy and sorrow.
Respect – we treat patients, guests, and fellow associates with sensitivity and empathy.
Dignity – we acknowledge each individual, their cultural diversity and that of the community we serve.
Quality – we strive to deliver the highest quality service by continuously improving our services and processes.
Excellence – we endeavor to become the benchmark, putting forth our personal and professional best.
Limitations and Disclaimers:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor or other clinic management in compliance with Federal and State laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
I have reviewed, understand, and received a copy of the above job description.