Performs telephone and reception duties for the department. Responsibilities include use and application of practice management system, practice-related finance and billing procedures, customer service standards, and same-day scheduling procedures
Clinical Services Representative (CSR) Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
- Provides phone and administrative coverage in department. Works with clinical support team (i.e Providers, MA’s and nurses) in addressing patient needs
- Appropriately performs all reception responsibilities in accordance with established protocols
- Schedules patient follow-up appointments, as necessary
- Works as a liaison between operational and clinical team, patients, outside providers, and other healthcare professionals
- Serves as first point of contact for patient clinical inquiries
- Maintains an organized and safe environment
- Complies with attendance at all NCHC mandated trainings
- On a daily basis, exhibits excellent customer service skills to external and internal customers at all times with a focus on quality of care and team work that focuses on the needs of the business
- Ability to provide medical reception coverage for Adult Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics or Mental Health as needed. This position may also float to the call center or front desk
- Reaches out as appropriate to reception, registration, and billing for assistance with patient issues
Front Desk Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
1. Appropriately performs all reception responsibilities in accordance with established protocols regarding patient check-in, verification of insurance coverage, and authorization of insurances using PM system. Meets or exceeds NCHC standard for error rating in patient registration information.
2. Consistently follows established procedure for collecting outstanding patient balances. Monitors self-pay payments/payment arrangements to meet or exceed goals for collection or receipt of payment agreement on a daily basis.
3. Exhibits complete knowledge of and complies with all established protocols for daily reconciliation. Meets or exceeds NCHC accuracy standard in reconciliation and compliance with securing monies. Meets or exceeds NCHC standard for error rate in post-scheduler match.
4. Maintains an organized and safe environment. Complies with attendance at all NCHC mandated trainings.
5. On a daily basis, exhibits excellent customer service skills to external and internal customers at all times with a focus on quality of care and teamwork that focuses on the needs of the business.
6. Completing various clerical tasks associated with customer service, including filing, correspondence, and other record keeping functions
7. Reaches out to Practice Manager and Team Lead, as appropriate, for registration and billing questions, and for assistance with patient issues.
Call Center Operator Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Practice Manager operates a ShoreTel 560 Telephone in conjunction with using Centricity Practice Management software to relay incoming, outgoing and interoffice calls. Performs numerous health center communications and clerical duties. Answers patients’ inquiries ensuring efficient and accurate responses and messages to both staff and patients.
1. Answer and direct a high volume of incoming calls as a first point of contact for the center.
2. Appropriately performs all call center operator responsibilities in accordance with established protocols regarding verification of insurance coverage, authorization of insurances, primary telephones, follow-up calls and meets center standards for calls taken and error rating in patient registration information.
3. Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
4. On a daily basis, exhibits excellent customer service skills to external and internal customers at all times with quality of care and teamwork that focuses on the needs of the patient.
5. Ability to provide coverage of front desk as needed.
6. Reaches out to Team Lead and Practice Manager, as appropriate, for registration and billing questions, and for assistance with patient issues. Informs patient of outstanding balance prior to booking new appointments. Utilizes supervisors’ expertise and guidance and follows directives from both the Team Lead and Practice Manager.
3. Maintains an organized and safe environment. Complies with attendance at all NCHC mandated trainings required for the position.
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook Skills
- Internet search skills
- Ability to use proprietary scheduling/medical information system
- Excellent phone skills
- Professional demeanor, good listening skills and a clear telephone voice
- The ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Ability to interact with a diverse population of people
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, emotionally upset, and sometimes aggressive people
- Responds promptly to customer needs
- Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments
- Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality
1. Ability to read, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos
2. Ability to write simple correspondence
3. Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divide
4. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
5. Knowledge of spreadsheet software and word processing software
6. Must be able to use Centricity scheduling/medical information system and other practice administration-related applications
7. Bilingual speaking ability preferred, English and Spanish
High school diploma or equivalent
Graduation from an accredited medical assistant program a plus
Six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Blood borne pathogen exposure risk
Category II – Job classifications includes employees which do not meet the occupational exposure definitions for bloodborne pathogens, but may have some risk of exposure while performing their job duties.
Norwalk Community Health Center Mission, Vision and Values
To provide quality, innovative care that enriches the lives our patients
To lead our community toward the achievement of the best possible health
The work of Norwalk Community Health Center is guided and informed by our beliefs and commitment to:
Compassion – we feel solidarity with our patients and our coworkers; we feel one another’s joy and sorrow.
Respect – we treat patients, guests, and fellow associates with sensitivity and empathy.
Dignity – we acknowledge each individual, their cultural diversity and that of the community we serve.
Quality – we strive to deliver the highest quality service by continuously improving our services and processes.
Excellence – we endeavor to become the benchmark, putting forth our personal and professional best.
Limitations and Disclaimers:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor or other clinic management in compliance with Federal and State laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.