Licensed Practical Nurse
Working under the direction of the RN, the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides patient care and support to the Care Team by collaborating with all Team members and performing high quality, cost effective nursing care. The LPN strives to promote health maintenance and restoration of the patient’s health and wellbeing. This is done in a collaborative approach with all Team members and is guided by Fair Haven Community Health Care (FHCHC) policies, standards of care and mission.
Duties and responsibilities
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Independently carries out assignments; providing direct patient care in clinic or via telephone.
- Collaborate with the Patient Care Team.
- Provides input and collaborates with the RN in the development of the patient’s plan of care.
- Provides supervision and delegates tasks to the Medical Assistants within the care team.
- Documents in patient’s EMR, processes forms & performs follow up phone calls related to the patient’s plan of care in accordance with FHCHC policies.
- Is a participant in Care Coordination within the patient care team.
- In conjunction with the RN, plans patient care using the nursing process (Assessment/Plan/Implement & Evaluate).
- Conducts Patient Education and documents education and patient’s response to teaching in the patient record.
- Positively contributes to Fair Haven Community Health Care mission.
- Delivers excellent Nursing Care in a Patient Centered Medical Home care model.
- Demonstrates nursing leadership within the Primary Care Team and greater FHCHC community.
- Contributes and fosters advancement of nursing, medical care, and quality improvement at FHCHC and the community.
Specific Responsibilities of the Job:
- Serves as an integral member of the care team and supports teamwork.
- Participates in Pod Functions such as huddles and Pod Meetings.
- Participates in Team and Departmental Meetings.
- Oversees Team flow and assists the session in running on time by delegating appropriate tasks to maximize efficiency of clinic.
- Addresses patient complaints or concerns and documents in the patient record. Consults Nursing Management with any risk management issues.
- Assists the Nurse Manager in reviewing daily schedules and suggesting coverage solutions when needed.
- Responds to emergency situations per FHCHC protocols.
- Performs and documents monthly checks on emergency equipment.
- Orders medications per FHCHC policies.
- Keeps the Medication Room and supply inventory items well stocked per par levels.
Supervision (Team Specific, may vary)
- Supervise the Medical Assistants providing general oversight.
- Assist in the completion of the employee annual clinical competencies and provides feedback to the Nurse Manager on performance reviews for direct reports (MA).
- Provides goal oriented coaching and support to direct reports (MA).
- Demonstrates the principles of good patient care management and communication skills.
Documentation, Forms Management & Phone Calls
- Performs phone/electronic message follow-up.
- Places calls to patients to answer questions, conduct patient assessments, or review lab results, as directed by the PCP.
- Assists in completing patient forms, as needed.
- Follows all FHCHC EHR documentation policies and procedures.
- Manage anticoagulation therapy for Coumadin Patients.
- Work closely with VNA nurses for new referrals and ongoing patient care.
- Coordinate specialty services for patients with internal and external providers.
- Provides feedback to the care team regarding care coordination status.
Patient Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation & Evaluation
- Under the direction of the RN, develops the patient’s plan of care and delegates appropriate tasks to the Medical Assistant.
- Documents patient’s Medical History, Medications, and elements of the nursing process.
- Discusses and documents allergies and other relevant details with the PCP.
- Administers medications/vaccines and performs clinical procedures per standing order or clinician written order.
- Perform medication reconciliation by phone or in office for established patients.
- Carries out assessments and interventions identified in panel management meetings.
- Provide Health Education by phone or at the end of an office visit.
- As needed, conclude the office visit with a review of the After Visit Summary and any relevant interventions.
- Documents all patient/family/significant other teaching and outcomes in patient record.
- Positively contribute to Fair Haven Community Health Care
- Ensures patient confidentiality and safety.
- Adheres to all FHCHC Health, Safety and Infection Control Policies, Protocols and Practices.
- Provides excellent customer service and culturally competent care.
- Engages in performance improvement activities and acts as an agent of positive change by looking for innovative ways to improve processes and advance clinical excellence.
- Positively represent FHCHC to internal and external clients.
- Perform other necessary duties as required by FHCHC to achieve the goal of providing excellent primary health care in a Patient Centered Medical Home.
- Compassionate and caring.
- Demonstrated ability and performs independently in carrying out assignments.
- Strong clinical knowledge base and competent in nursing procedures.
- Excellent written, electronic and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Portray a pleasant and respectful attitude when: communicating with coworkers, patients, and internal and external clients; accepting direction and delegated tasks; and receiving constructive criticism.
- Strong computer skills.
- Oral and written proficiency in English.
- Bi-lingual with fluency in Spanish is preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Current Connecticut License as Licensed Practical Nurse is required. A minimum 2 years of experience in a fast paced primary care setting is highly preferred.
- Graduation from an accredited Nursing School.
- High School Diploma/GED
Direction of Others
- Medical Assistants
American with Disabilities Requirements:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific functions (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case by case basis.
Fair Haven Community Health Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FHCHC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.