InterCommunity, Inc. is a growing, progressive, non-profit community health center with over 40 years of experience in the community. We’ve been the grateful recipient over the past several years of numerous local and national awards for the innovative services we provide, and have just been named a Hartford Courant/Fox CT Top Small Workplace Award winner for the EIGHTH consecutive year!
We are currently recruiting a full time Medical Assistant who is accountable for providing a full range of administrative and medical support responsibilities in a community health setting. Duties and responsibilities are administered under the supervision of licensed professionals.
Works under the medical supervision of an RN, APRN, and/or MD. Works under the administrative supervision of the Director of Integrated Healthcare.
- Independently implements the medical assistant process with clients including carrying out RN, APRN, and MD orders regarding client care, medication, and treatment as appropriate per skill set
- Triages clients, whether walk-in or over the phone, and implements appropriate intervention per protocol
- Makes referrals to PCP/ER as indicated, and maintains communication/coordinates with client’s PCP or specialist to ensure proper flow of critical information
- Meets with clients for wellness check, including vital signs, weight, BMI, blood sugar testing, etc. as warranted or instructed by prescriber prior to medication therapy appointments
- Schedules patient follow-up appointments
- Orders and monitors blood levels per drug indication, agency protocol or prescriber’s orders
- Ensures lab results are reviewed and signed by MD and disseminated as needed (e.g., faxed to pharmacy or PCP)
- Educates clients, family or support person on their mental health/medical condition or any other client-centered issue as needed. Evaluates responses and effectiveness.
- Refers client for home care services as instructed by prescriber
- Calls new prescriptions to client’s pharmacy as instructed by prescriber
- May conduct client education groups and training
- Act as primary staff for all urine collection for agency clients; assists with urine collections for CSSD Program
- May assist in physical examinations
- May administer routine tests, including blood draws.
- Documents medical assistant interventions in client medical record/encounter notes and reports as appropriate
- Provides support to RN for injections as directed by a prescriber
- May participate as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team in the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of client’s treatment or health/mental health care plans
- May participate in psychotherapeutic and rehabilitation interventions
- Responds to routine client calls regarding health and wellness
- Coordinates all authorization telephone calls/faxes to insurance companies and pharmacies as instructed
- Assists RN in maintaining availability of medications and supplies
- Assists RN in distributing and maintaining records of samples and controlled drugs and insures their security
- Provides support to RN for first aid functions as needed
- Responds to emergencies (Dr. Arnold or Dr. Bond telephone pages)
- Monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation
- Ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment
- Maintains medical office instruments, equipment and supplies and ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment, may purchase medical services as necessary
- Serves as a member of the agency Health and Safety Committee
- Learns front desk check-in process
- Preforms related duties as required
Graduation from an accredited medical assistant program preferred. Two (2) years of relative experience.
How to Apply