Reporting to the Manager of the Health Information Management Department, the HIM Assistant is responsible for release of CS-HHC patient information to duly authorized recipients within the time-frames established by the Department. The HIM Assistant will also take direction from the ROI Coordinator as it relates to issues of workflow. Duties are performed in accordance with Hill Health Center policies and procedures and State and Federal Law and Regulation. The incumbent shall maintain records of information released in accordance with HIPAA requirements, coordinate the activities of other staff members engaged in release of information activities, and prepare summary reports of activities performed for Quality Improvement Purposes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Explains confidentiality and release of information procedures to patients and other requestors of information either in person, by telephone or in writing
- Reviews written requests for information and authorizations for release for completeness and compliance with applicable policies, law and regulation
- Screens requests for matters related to possible litigation and liability cases
- Selects information from the patient/client record to fulfill requests, applying the “minimum necessary information” standard
- Replies to requestors whose request or authorization is incomplete or invalid, providing direction on the means by which to make the necessary correction
- Documents all releases made or denied in the patient’s record and within the Disclosure Log maintained by the Department
- Scans release information into the patient’s record
- Calculates fees and prepare invoices for information released, as applicable
- Responds to subpoenas for and assure delivery to the Court on the specified appearance date in the absence of the ROI Coordinator
- Coordinates record “audits” initiated by insurance carriers, governmental agencies or internal requestors and research as necessary
- Receives records from other health care providers and distribute to the appropriate clinician for review
- Prioritizes tasks and organize own work-day for self and others involved in the release of information function
- Participates in Departmental Quality Improvement activities
- Utilizes Hill Health Center’s software in performance of duties including, but not limited to SRS & Centricity
- Performs routine maintenance on assigned equipment
- Performs other Departmental duties and functions as directed
- Assists Privacy Officer in scheduling, maintaining and investigating claims of Privacy Violations
- Misc., clerical duties as requested
Education: High School Diploma/GED required. Some college course work and medical terminology preferred.
Experience: A minimum of one (1) years of release of information experience or two (2) years general Health Information Management experience.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center