Head of Development
Overview: Family Centers seeks a dynamic and engaging Head of Development to lead, manage, and coordinate comprehensive annual giving strategies and implementation plans that support the organization’s mission and strategic initiatives to achieve annual revenue goals. Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, work is performed both independently and in collaboration with the Development team. This role also partners extensively with senior leadership, program staff, and Trustees.
The Role: As the senior member of the Development team, primary responsibilities include providing leadership in strategic planning, implementation, communication, evaluation, and reporting of activities, policies and programs necessary to achieve all established annual giving objectives. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop a yearly strategic plan outlining fundraising goals and methods based on the agency’s history, priorities, comparable agencies, funding trends and sources.
- Manage the full range of activities required to prepare and submit grant proposals to foundation, public and corporate sources. Work in conjunction with the Grants Manager to develop compelling foundation and governmental grants, and ensure they are submitted in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develop and manage budget for the Annual Giving plan and provide periodic revenue forecasts, reports, and analysis to senior management.
- Perform prospect research to identify potential future donors and conduct cultivation visits with existing and potential donors.
- Provide leadership, coordination, and implementation of Family Centers’ annual special events.
- Oversee the recruitment, retention and engagement of Family Centers’ comprehensive volunteer program
- Collaborate with finance to gather information necessary to report to individual, governmental, foundation and corporate donors on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/governmental/corporate donors.
- Supervise and manage the work of Family Centers’ Development team.
- Work with communication staff to provide information for public relations materials (including Annual Report, website, social media, newsletter, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of eight (8) years relevant experience along with a demonstrated ability to meet and exceed revenue projections.
- Proven results in leading internal teams to achieve development revenue goals that influence organization success.
- Ability to use technology to gather, interpret, organize and present data necessary to prepare annual fundraising plan and complex budgets.
- Stellar interpersonal, written, verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic planning skills
- Proven experience working in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments.
- Consistent use of diplomacy, discretion and sound judgment when addressing matters with donors, colleagues and volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and manage critical long-term relationships with donor organizations and constituents.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge
About Family Centers:
Family Centers is a private, nonprofit organization offering health, education and human service program to children, adults and families in Fairfield County. More than 250 professionals and 1,200 trained volunteers collaborate to provide our communities with a wide range of responsive and innovative services. Through our comprehensive network of services, more than 22,000 children, adults, families and communities receive the care, encouragement and resources needed to realize their potential.
Salary commensurate with experience. A suite of benefits including generous paid time off, medical, dental, vision, tax-free spending accounts, disability, life and AD&D insurance. Additional benefits include an employee assistance plan, pet insurance, critical accident and illness, wellness services, tuition reimbursement, and retirement savings. The opportunity to work for an employer consistently rated one of the Top Workplaces in Western Connecticut by Hearst Connecticut Media and a perfect 100 Encompass rating by Charity Navigator 10. The agency’s fiscal 2020 revenues were approximately $17 million.
Family Centers is a United Way, Community Fund of Darien and New Canaan Community Foundation partner agency and is a member of the Connecticut Council of Family Service Agencies and the Alliance for Children and Families. The agency is also accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), The Joint Commission, licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health, and is a Department of Children and Families-licensed child psychology center.
Family Centers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive salary, training, and generous benefits package.