ARE YOU A TRUSTED MEMBER OF THE STAMFORD COMMUNITY?
Have you ever helped a family member or friend to get health care services? Are there things harming your community’s health that you feel passionate about changing? If the answer is yes, this may be the opportunity for you!
COVID-19 has disproportionately impacted Stamford, particularly in low-income and communities of color. When a Contact Tracer reaches out to individuals and families advising quarantine, people have immediate worries such as: “How will I get to the pharmacy to get my prescriptions filled?” “Who will watch my children while I go to the doctor?” and “Will I have food, transportation and housing?” “How do I access services to address my fear and anxiety about COVID-19?”
We believe that Community Health Workers (CHWs) have the skills and experience to understand what clients are going through and help them get through these difficult times. CHWs are people who come from the communities they serve such as Stamford, CT. CHWs act as caring neighbors to help patients address the social, medical and community problems that lead to poor health. The goal is to help patients deal with the ‘real life’ issues that keep them from staying healthy, help with the tasks of getting medical care, and work on short term health and social service goals.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct a needs assessment for referred clients
• Provide phone calls and necessary service implementation
• Motivate clients to meet their health goals
• Help clients with presenting social issues
• Assist clients with organizing short term needs, making follow-up appointments and filling prescriptions
• Help clients fill out applications for benefits like insurance and food stamps where indicated
• Work with other CHWs to share new community resources
• Document each client encounter
• Prepare reports and documents as needed or requested
• Attend regular team meetings
• Other duties as assigned
• Associates college degree strongly preferred (experience in lieu of degree will be considered)
• Long-time resident of Stamford CT community with good knowledge of the resources and programs in the community
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to exercise judgment in the application of professional services
• Comfortable with community outreach, cold calls, and potential home visits
• Proficiency with computer data entry
• Prior experience as an outreach worker, case manager or family support worker
COMPENSATION: Up to $30/hour
WORKWEEK: General business hours, potential evening and weekend work dependent on client need.
For now, the Position is time-limited – Sept 2020 – Feb 2021.
Comprehensive training will be provided.
About Family Centers:
Family Centers is a private, nonprofit organization offering education, health and human services to children, adults and families in Fairfield County. More than 200 professionals and 1,200 trained volunteers collaborate to provide our communities with a wide range of responsive and innovative services. Through our three Centers of Excellence, more than 21,000 children, adults, families and communities receive the care, encouragement and resources needed to realize their potential.
Family Centers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information and to apply, please visit http://www.familycenters.org/
How to Apply