Family Centers’ Chief Financial Officer (CFO) directs the financial affairs of the agency and provides guidance to its finance team (currently 9 FTEs). As a member of the agency’s Executive Team, the CFO reports directly to the CEO and works in close collaboration with the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Accurately account for the agency’s operations, assets, liabilities and investments
- Provide timely monthly financial reporting to the Board and internal constituents
- Compile annual budgets and periodic forecasts for the agency’s approximately 30 service delivery areas
- Prepare budgets and interim reports for multiple private funders
- Maximize revenues, with emphasis on health care and early childhood education service fee billing
- Ensure timely tax returns/filings including 990, periodic tax exemption filings, etc.
- Ensure adherence to all local, state, federal and private funder regulations/requirements
- Maintain accounting policies and procedures, updating as necessary for changed regulations, particularly HRSA
- Oversee the agency’s annual commercial insurance renewal, certificates of insurance, and any claims
- Coordinate annual audits of the financial statements, 403(b) plan and workers compensation
- Enhance financial literacy within the organization, particularly as new leaders develop
- Promote improved fiscal health for the agency and sound procedures to safeguard cash and other financial assets
- Support the agency’s three-year strategic plan and other agency visioning/initiatives (e.g., how to forecast/size new program opportunities)
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline
- Minimum of 15 years’ proven experience overseeing a similarly sized organization’s finance function, including prior nonprofit experience
- Familiarity with state and federal grant requirements including single audits, reporting and compliance
- Excellent analytical and accounting skills and a resourceful mindset
- Proven ability to multi-task, delegate effectively and project manage
- Track record of developing employees and proven ability to motivate staff for superior performance
- Experience in change management, business process redesign, and systems implementation
- Experience working with governing Board and associated subcommittees
- Versatility to see the big picture while also managing details
- Ability to provide guidance on all accounting and GAAP related issues
- Exceptional listening and communication skills and an internal/external “customer service” orientation
- Highest commitment to professionalism and integrity
- Ability to be both a leader and an effective team member
- Knowledge of health care financial management and billing systems particularly Medicaid/Medicare
About Family Centers:
Family Centers is a private, nonprofit organization offering health, education and human service program to children, adults and families in Fairfield County. More than 250 professionals and 1,200 trained volunteers collaborate to provide our communities with a wide range of responsive and innovative services. Through our comprehensive network of services, more than 22,000 children, adults, families and communities receive the care, encouragement and resources needed to realize their potential. The agency’s fiscal 2020 revenues were approximately $17 million.
Family Centers is a United Way, Community Fund of Darien and New Canaan Community Foundation partner agency, and is a member of the Connecticut Council of Family Service Agencies and the Alliance for Children and Families. The agency is also accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), The Joint Commission, licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health, and is a Department of Children and Families-licensed child psychology center.
Salary commensurate with experience. A suite of benefits including generous paid time off, medical, dental, vision, tax-free spending accounts, disability, life and AD&D insurance. Additional benefits include an employee assistance plan, pet insurance, critical accident and illness, wellness services, tuition reimbursement, and retirement savings. The opportunity to work for an employer consistently rated one of the Top Workplaces in Western Connecticut by Hearst Connecticut Media and a perfect 100 Encompass rating by Charity Navigator 10.
Family Centers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive salary, training, and generous benefits package.