Fair Haven Community Health Center
FHCHC is a forward-thinking, dynamic, and exciting community health center that provides care for multiple generations at nearly 80,000 office visits in 17 locations. Overseen by a Board of Directors, the majority of whom are patients themselves, we are proud to offer a wide range of primary and specialty care services, as well as evidence-based patient programs to educate patients in healthy lifestyle choices. As we grow and are able to bring high-quality health care to more areas that need access, we continue to put our patients first in everything we do. The mission of FHCHC is “To improve the health and social well-being of the communities we serve through equitable, high quality, patient-centered care that is culturally responsive.”
For nearly 50 years, we have been a health care leader in our community focused on providing excellent, affordable primary care to all patients, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay. Fair Haven is proud to have a diverse and motivated team of professionals who are constantly seeking ways to enhance and improve the health and well-being of all patients. We believe that everyone should have access to high-quality medical and dental care, regardless of ability to pay.
To assist clinicians and patients in managing specialty and diagnostic referrals. When necessary navigates patients through the health care system from the initiation of the referral, to obtaining prior authorization, scheduling appointments and tracking and following up on results.
Duties and responsibilities
- Works in close partnership with the clinical teams to manage all aspects of external referrals.
- Obtains prior authorization for referrals when necessary.
- Makes appointments and any additional referral arrangements with patient referral sites.
- Documents all aspects of the referrals process in the patient’s Electronic Health Record and communicates with referring clinicians when patients cannot be reached.
- Educates patients related to requirements of referrals, referral sites/ locations and/or appointment specifics.
- Works with the Referrals Supervisor to educate clinicians on changes to the referrals process.
- Works with the Referrals Supervisor, Executive Management and Department Chairs to identify Performance Improvement needs and strategies for managing, tracking and following up on referrals.
- Manages a system for follow up of referrals, by maintaining a searchable database, as directed by the Referrals Supervisor.
- Works with teams and individual providers to clarify access issues, or other barriers for particular referrals or groups of referrals.
- Familiarizes self with and acts as an expert related to insurance practices and coverage or referrals by various payer sources.
- Ensures patient confidentiality, and provides patients with needed information.
- Performs other necessary duties as required by FHCHC to achieve the goal of providing high quality services and primary health care
- Strong knowledge base of medical terminology and procedures
- Preferably multi-lingual in English and Spanish
- Previous experience in a health care setting, ideally related to referrals processes
- Principles of proficient data entry, preferably using a database such as Excel and/or Access
- Excellent communication skills, pleasant attitude, ability to accept constructive criticism, and an ability to work well with staff and patients.
- High School diploma
- Training as a Medical Assistant
- Oral and written proficiency in English
- Oral and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred)
- Computer skills
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status