Fair Haven Community Health Center
FHCHC is a forward-thinking, dynamic, and exciting community health center that provides care for multiple generations at nearly 80,000 office visits in 17 locations. Overseen by a Board of Directors, the majority of whom are patients themselves, we are proud to offer a wide range of primary and specialty care services, as well as evidence-based patient programs to educate patients in healthy lifestyle choices. As we grow and are able to bring high-quality health care to more areas that need access, we continue to put our patients first in everything we do. The mission of FHCHC is “To improve the health and social well-being of the communities we serve through equitable, high quality, patient-centered care that is culturally responsive.”
For nearly 50 years, we have been a health care leader in our community focused on providing excellent, affordable primary care to all patients, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay. Fair Haven is proud to have a diverse and motivated team of professionals who are constantly seeking ways to enhance and improve the health and well-being of all patients. We believe that everyone should have access to high-quality medical and dental care, regardless of ability to pay.
The Medical Billing Specialist is responsible for maintaining the professional collections and reimbursement program at FHCHC.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Medical Billing Specialist Lead, the Medical Billing Specialist is responsible for performing all tasks related to the Payment posting, billing and collections. Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Accurately and efficiently post and reconcile all manual, electronic remittances and lock box payments from both carriers and patients
- Process credit card payments
- Utilize payer websites to locate and print EOBs.
- Review patient credit balances minimally bi-weekly and distribute.
- Coordinate refunds to patients and insurances
- Perform adjustments/ write-offs when instructed by FHCHC.
- Prepare, review and send patient statements across separate work queues
- Process and send “collections” letters for outstanding balances
- Process all returned mail
- Answer incoming patient billing phone calls, work to resolve patient issues
- Initiating collection calls and setting up and maintaining payment arrangements
- Follow collections process as outlined in FHCHC billing guidelines
- Perform billing and computer functions, including patient & thirds party billing, data entry and posting encounters when necessary
- Prepare and submit clean claims to various insurance companies either electronically or by paper when necessary
- Print all paper claims from the practice management system, organize, mail out as a primary or secondary claim
- Perform other related duties that may be inclusive, but not listed on the job description
- High School diploma or GED with minimum of 3 years of experience in medical billing is required. The ability to use computer and multi-lined telephones with an understanding of billing practices and oral and written proficiency in English is also required.
- The selected candidate will have excellent Interpersonal skills and accuracy with attention to detail; the ability to work in a team environment or independently and to meet all established deadlines, metrics and assignment goals at all times. Bi-lingual in English and Spanish is highly preferred.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.