For nearly 50 years, we have been a health care leader in our community focused on providing excellent, affordable primary care to all patients, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay. Fair Haven is proud to have a diverse and motivated team of professionals who are constantly seeking ways to enhance and improve the health and well-being of all patients.
It’s an exciting time for FHCHC. We are growing and looking for great talent to join us! If you are a passionate, caring professional interested in improving the health of our community, we’d like to know more about you.
- To ensure proper and efficient patient work flow and to enhance the dental patient experience.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Dental Assistant is responsible for assisting the dentist in the direct provision of primary care dental services to patients of the health center. Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Prepares treatment room for patient by following prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Provides instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area: positions instruments for dentists’ access, suctioning and passing instruments utilizing four-handed technique.
- Provides procedural materials by selecting, mixing and placing materials on instruments and in the patient’s mouth, as necessary.
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies, as well as pouring, trimming, and polishing study casts.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, and postoperative instructions.
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient records, as requested by dentist and/or Dental Director.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential as outlined by the organization’s HIPPA policies.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations as outlined by the Dental Director.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols as outlined by OSHA.
- Ensures efficient and effective operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements with oversight by Lead Dental Assistant. This includes, but not limited to: following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs, maintaining equipment inventories and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supply inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level and reporting back to the Lead Dental Assistant current level and need.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies when directed.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks in a timely fashion.
- Helps dentist manage dental and/or medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply and emergency telephone directory.
- Completes all required organizational trainings in a timely fashion.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), and specified training courses as mandated by state for certification, licensure, or registration are required. The selected candidate must embrace a positive team approach to patient care. Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
Certificates / Licensures / Registrations:
Must have radiation and infection control certification upon hire and any other certifications as mandated by applicable state statutes as required
Category I Increased Risk Position
Potential exposure to hazardous waste and blood borne pathogens, clinical setting
Yearly Infection Control Training
Physical Demands: Requires walking, bending, sitting, standing, writing, reading, telephone use, data input into computer, pulling medical records,
Mental Demands: Ability to cope with continual changing priorities under potentially stressful conditions
Manual Dexterity Required: Ability to use a keyboard, telephone
American with Disabilities Requirements:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific functions (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case by case basis.
Fair Haven Community Health Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FHCHC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
How to Apply
Follow the below links to apply:
Fair Haven Community Health Care