The Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for assessing the needs of individuals and groups, and providing education to patients referred to the Wellness diabetes clinic and Wellness nutrition services. The RN will provide nursing assessments to include blood sugar monitoring, medication review, and diabetes education. The RN will provide individual and group education on a variety of topics including diabetes, smoking cessation, and healthy lifestyle.
The RN will support the Wellness team with assessing the needs of patients with diabetes in particular, and enhance and deliver diabetes self-management education. The RN will collaborate with nurses, physicians, and other health care professionals in the delivery of patient care. The RN will assume responsibility for management of a selected case load of patients as defined by the clinical practice area.
CS-HHC’s Expectations of all Employees
- Adheres to all CS-HHC Policies and Procedures
- Conducts self in a manner that represents CS-HHC’s Values at all times
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all work-related contacts
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about Departmental and CS-HHC concerns
- Consistently reports to work on time, prepared to perform the duties of the position
- Meets productivity standards and performs duties as workload necessitates
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely as part of the Wellness team to promote continuity of care for individuals with diabetes.
- Assesses needs of patients with diabetes and assist in designing, implementing, and evaluating individualized teaching plans for these patients on an ongoing basis.
- Performs assessments and data collection in an ongoing and systemic manner, focusing on physiological, psychological, psychosocial and cognitive status.
- Responsible for performing in person and phone triage. Assesses patients’ medical urgency and determine care needs based upon presented symptoms and department standards of care.
- Assesses and documents conditions, diabetes measures, cardiopulmonary, neurological statuses, skin integrity, and vital signs.
- Accurately recognizes abnormal diagnostic values according to age specific guidelines. Interprets their significance and follows through with the provider.
- Formulates a patient specific goal-directed plan of care which is prioritized and based on nursing assessment and patient outcomes.
- Develops, individualizes, and professionally modifies care through physical, psychosocial and cognitive realms of nursing assessment and interventions actively considered.
- Ensures that total patient care needs are met by following established multidisciplinary plan of care. Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent and holistic manner.
- Explains rationale for all nursing, technical and therapeutic interventions selected and conducted.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the relationship of pathophysiology to procedures and interventions.
- Assists with referrals, prior authorizations, and medication refills to support Wellness provider.
- Seeks participation of patient and significant others in care.
- Contacts patient for appropriate follow-up
- Performs technical skills, seeking assistance as needed, according to established procedures, protocols and scope of nursing practice care standards
Education: NLN Graduate from an accredited school. Must have current Registered Nurse Connecticut State Licensure. Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Education strongly preferred and/or Registered Dietitian (RD) licensure. CPR certification required.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a long-term care facility or rehabilitation center. Past experience with a strong focus on the diabetic population preferred. Clinic experience is highly desirable.
Knowledge/Abilities: Excellent Patient Management skills. Must be strongly motivated and able to accept supervision. Computer skills are essential with the ability to learn EMR and EPIC medical records. Ability to provide phone triage along with knowledge of referral process, medication refill procedures and administration. Knowledge of CLIA waived lab testing, Urine Dipsticks and Glucometers are necessary. Excellent leadership qualities and knowledge of management skills are necessary. Bilingual individual is highly desirable, but not required.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center