The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for assisting the pharmacist with the day-to-day activities in the pharmacy such as completing medication orders, prepackaging medications, placing orders on shelves, verifying all associated paperwork, and filling and labeling outpatient prescriptions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Pharmacist with filling and labeling outpatient prescriptions.
- Assists patients who are dropping off or picking up prescription orders.
- Enters prescription orders into the computer.
- Creates a profile of the patient’s health and insurance information in the computer or updates the patient’s profile.
- Prepares medications and supplies for dispensing in a timely manner.
- Communicates with providers and their agents to obtain refill authorization.
- Communicates with insurance carriers to obtain payment for prescription claims.
- Verifies the customer receives the correct prescription.
- Maintains awareness of local, state, federal and company regulations related to pharmaceutical field.
- Assists with pharmacy inventory including maintaining regular inspections, controlling and auditing medications.
- Maintains workload records and collects quality-assurance data.
- Handles daily telephone calls from members, providers and physicians.
- Assists in training other pharmacy employees and technicians.
- Assists pharmacist in scheduling and maintaining workflow.
- Develops reports on trending and departmental activities as needed.
- Prepares daily department orders while maintaining and re-stocking inventory as required.
- Delivers supplies and medication and driving pharmacy vehicle if needed.
- Performs all other duties as required.
Education: High School Diploma/GED required. Certification is preferred.
Experience: At least one (1) year work experience as a Pharmacy Technician. Certification in lieu of experience will be considered. Valid Connecticut Driver’s License desired.
Knowledge/Abilities: Knowledge of medical terminology, medication brands and generic names. Knowledge of computer operations and insurance and third party payment systems. Ability to make routine decisions, strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills, courteous attitude and ability to respect confidentiality of patient data. Bilingual preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand or sit for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Travel within the State of Connecticut is required on an as needed basis.
CSHHC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center