With the knowledge and understanding of eye anatomy and mastery of testing protocols, independently assists Physicians of the Ophthalmology and Visual Science Department in performing diagnostic tests necessary for the evaluation of patient eye problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently performs preliminary screening examination for physician review including, but not limited to:
- Central and peripheral visual field tests;
- Ocular motility tests; color vision tests; pharmacological pupil tests;
- Tonometry, tonography and tension tomography tests to determine intraocular pressure and pupil testing for size, equality and reaction prior todilation.
- Perform specialized testing procedures appropriate to specialty using both automated and manual equipment.
- Visual Acuity
- Humphries Visual Fields
- Positions patients; reviews patient’s chart, patient’s condition, and physician’s notes to plan and determine method of testing.
- Sets up, operates and maintains equipment to conduct tests and procedures appropriate to specialty.
- Schedules eye surgeries as necessary.
- Provides information to patients concerning specific tests and procedures; Records test results; identify and report abnormalities.
- Schedules appointments with the provider for the patient.
- Provides patients with necessary information (appointment time, location, directions, any required preparations, etc.).
- Sterilizes and sets up instruments for ophthalmic surgical procedures.
- Directs the flow of patients and arranges for laboratory and other tests.
- Orders supplies for the Eye Clinic.
- Enters patient information in the Electronic Health Record.
- Performs all other duties as required.
Education/Experience: Certification by JCAHPO as an Ophthalmic Assistant or higher. Six (6) years of related work experience, four (4) of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or four (4) years of related work experience and an Associate’s Degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge/Abilities: Knowledge of medical procedures, administering diagnostic tests, and specialized equipment and instruments. Must possess good communication skills and possess outstanding interpersonal and time management skills. Must be able to work as part of a team and demonstrate professional appearance.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand or sit for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
CSHHC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center