Reporting to the Nurse Manager or designee, the Medical Assistant acts as an advocate for patients seeking and receiving care in the Center and interprets the needs and concerns of the patients for other staff members. The Medical Assistant will directly assist the clinical provider during clinical sessions and prepare patients for exams according to specific guidelines. The Med Asst. will float to other departments or sites as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for helping patients and their care taker understand how to utilize the resources of the Center.
- Assists and supports the patients and their families during clinical visits to the Center.
- Manages patient records using Centricity.
- Must initiate and maintain correspondence with patients and insurance companies.
- Returns uncompleted Medical Record forms to the Provider for completion.
- Completes patient charting as necessary.
- Responsible for preparing patients and rooms for an exam according to specific procedures.
- Accurately and legibly documents vital signs, including blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperatures, O2, saturations and finger sticks. Ensures to sign off with a legible signature.
- Assists providers and nurses with specific treatment procedures and supports patients throughout the procedure.
- Performs EKG’s, hearing and vision tests, Urine Dipsticks, Urine Pregnancy Tests and other CLIA waived tests when necessary.
- Responsible for drawing blood and maintaining current phlebotomy certification.
- Ensures the necessary equipment and information are available for exam.
- Ensures all instruments and supplies are used properly and sanitized/autoclaved.
- Must maintain records of purchased equipment and medical supplies.
- Attends mandatory monthly staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Floats to other departments or sites as needed.
- Performs all other duties as required.
Education: High School Diploma/GED required. Certification by the American Association of Medical Assistants and/or American Registry of Medical Assistants required. Phlebotomy Certification from National Phlebotomy Association or National Healthcare Association preferred and current CPR certification from the American Heart Association required. Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus.
Experience: One (1) year experience as a Medical Assistant required. Previous medical office experience as a medical assistant is preferred.
Knowledge/Abilities: All skills of Medical Assistant must be met. Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on excellent customer service when dealing with both medical staff and patients; Computer skills are required with the ability to learn Centricity, EMR and Outlook; Ability to float to other departments or sites and perform all aspects of patient care. Ability to prepare patients for examination by performing preliminary physical tests; taking blood pressure, weight and temperature; verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is responsible for bending, lifting, walking, carrying or pulling objects. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The job requires exposure working with body fluid and hazardous chemicals. When under these working conditions, OSHA standards and universal precautions must be followed at all times.
Must have a valid driver’s license and a vehicle available. Travel within the State of Connecticut is required on a regular basis.
CSHHC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
How to Apply
Cornell Scott – Hill Health Center