The Assistant Controller is responsible for general accounting functions including, but not limited to: maintaining the financial records for Community Health & Wellness Center (CHWC); payroll oversight; grant and other expense reporting; conducting invoice activities; paying vendors for delivered materials; performing clerical/administrative functions, and; special projects as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Strong understanding of accounting.
- Ability to meet, manage and prioritize assigned deadlines.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Quickbooks, ADP, and multiple accounting software packages a plus.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all departments, employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results.
- Experience working in a Federally Qualified Healthcare Center (FQHC) or other regulated setting (e.g. government, banking, non-profit, healthcare) preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and analytical skills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs the monthly fiscal close. Prepares all accounting entries including, but not limited to prepaids, payroll and vacation accruals, benefit and overhead allocation and any other necessary journal entries.
- Keep financial records to track expenditures, profit and loss, cash flow, and other activities.
- Responsible for Deferred Revenue each month and ensures income is recognized as earned.
- Responsible for all fixed asset accounting and monthly depreciation entry in the general ledger.
- In the absence of the Accounting Coordinator, communicates with outside vendors, assures invoices are paid and deposits are reported in the cash account in a timely manner. Reviews processing of associated 1099/1096 forms at year-end.
- Reconciles all Balance Sheet Accounts on a monthly basis with assistance from Accounting Coordinator.
- Assist finance team with tasks to complete external audits and reporting by analyzing and scheduling general ledger accounts and providing/summarizing information to auditors.
- Assist with preparation of annual budget.
- Assist with administration of the grant cycle from application to closing; ensure that grant requirements are met and payments, flow of funds and reports are appropriate.
- Coordinates and maintains miscellaneous grant billings in reports. Experience with government grants and reporting is a plus.
- Correspond with and support “owners” of grants as requested to ensure reporting compliance.
- Uses of statistical and financial principals and techniques to prepare reports including federal Uniform Data System reports, Medicare and Medicaid Cost reports.
- Oversee Payroll function including reviewing bi-weekly payroll management reports issued by outside vendor, quarterly 941 tax return, and annual company W-2 and earnings summary. Ability to process payroll in the absence of Accounting Coordinator.
- Backup for Accounting Coordinator and ability to “step-in” for Controller
- Assists other Fiscal team members with coding, financial software or other GL and technical questions