Community Health Outreach Worker – Access Health CT Program
The Community Health Center Association of Connecticut (“CHCACT”) is a membership association comprised of community health centers, all of whom provide comprehensive health care to the people of Connecticut and beyond. The Association, with headquarters in Cheshire, Connecticut is a recognized national leader in the provision of technical assistance and training in practice transformation and quality improvement. Our team of professionals is dedicated to strengthening and supporting the clinical and operational performance of community health centers. Our mission is to advance and align the work of health centers, with stakeholders, to improve the health and wellness of all.
The individuals comprising our Association are the source of our creativity, reputation, and vitality. Every position here at CHCACT is critical to our ability to achieve our shared objectives. Each time we hire a new staff member, we are given the chance to enhance the community and to demonstrate CHCACT’s values of accountability, diversity, respect, and responsibility. We do this by using fair, legal, inclusive, and effective hiring practices that support and comply with CHCACT’s policy and the applicable State and Federal laws in a way that is mindful of climate, culture, and diversity, and by affirming the unique qualities of each individual throughout the hiring process.
POSITION SUMMARY & FUNCTIONS: The Community Health Outreach Worker supports CHCACT’s Access Health CT Program and works to ensure that the goals and objectives of the Access Health CT Navigator Program which is designed to address the lack of insurance among the 5.9% of Connecticut residents who are uninsured. This individual will work closely with internal CHCACT resources, various community partners, and staff at CIFC Greater Danbury Community Health Center, Generations Family Health Center, and United Community & Family Services to engage in community outreach and ensure the success of the program. They will be tasked with performing outreach activities at community events throughout the State of CT, and will also be responsible for developing and posting concise, creative content on various social media platforms to educate CT residents on their health insurance options. This position will report to the Chief Administrative Officer. This position is grant funded for One Year.
- Assist in the implementation of the Access Health CT Navigator Program designed to address the 5.9% of uninsured residents in CT in high CDC Social Vulnerability Index (SVI) communities.
- Become training and certified as a Navigator for Access Health CT.
- Work with the Certified Application Counselors at the identified member health centers to engage and inform CT residents on their health insurance options as well as the availability of financial assistance.
- Participate in community outreach programs and activities to ensure that the program is meeting deliverables and experiencing intended impact.
- Develop and post concise, creative content on various social media platforms to educate CT residents on their health insurance options.
- Conduct outreach events at different community locations including community centers, libraries, churches, schools, different social program meetings, etc.
- Build relationships with CT Chambers of Commerce in target areas to increase awareness of health insurance products and financial assistance available to small business and their employees.
- Lessen obstacles to enrollment by providing access to enrollment in Access Health CT for community residents.
- Attend community events and health fairs to raise awareness about Access Health CT.
- Work collaboratively with the internal staff and external resources to ensure efficient and timely data collection, and reporting.
- Participate in staff development as required to perform job requirements.
- Work collaboratively with both internal staff and external organizations.
- Adhere to the establishing program policies and procedures to help to ensure that all program requirements are met or exceeded.
- Provide assistance with the planning and coordination of program activities intended to increase awareness of and enrollment in Access Health CT in uninsured communities throughout CT including racial and minority groups and individuals living in areas of high social vulnerability.
- Assist with the development and coordination of effective and innovative training and awareness program events throughout the identified communities.
- Responsible for contributing to the program so that the goals and requirements for the Access Health CT Navigator program are met ranging from program deliverables/outcomes to financial performance.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including after-hours and some weekends to accommodate community events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to read, comprehend, write, and speak English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Able to communicate complex information clearly and succinctly, both in writing and orally in multiple formats.
- Experience working in community-based health care programs specifically those targeting underserved and vulnerable populations.
- Experience with community networking preferably within the target communities.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, OneNote, email, Internet, and database.
- Ability to create and post creative content on various social media platforms (Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, etc.)
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task, manage and prioritize various and differing projects, as well as work effectively toward numerous deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and maximum accountability. High degree of independence, flexibility, initiative, and commitment is required.
- Must be able to build working relationships with all levels of individuals within various agencies, FQHC leaders, advocates, community partners and other stakeholders.
- Show initiative in resolving issues/challenges proactively and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and must successfully complete a motor vehicle history check.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Must have a degree in a health-related field. Preferably in the fields of health, public health, or social service. Experience in lieu of degree will be considered. Minimum of 2 years of related experience. Prior experience working with community partners is preferred. Federally Qualified Health Center experience also preferred.
PHYSICAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to use computers and office equipment, manipulate documents, and move about the office. The employee may experience prolonged periods of sitting. The employee may occasionally move materials up to 25 pounds and must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facility. This position requires driving a personal vehicle on behalf of CHCACT. The individual will be required to drive to various FQHC’s and communities throughout the state.
The position requires the ability to read, and interpret financial reports, and legal contracts and documents. Must have ability to effectively speak before groups and present training to all types of audiences. Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish Fluently is a strong plus.
MENTAL DEMANDS AND REASONING ABILITIES:
Job requires targeted focus and attention to detail as well as thoroughness in completing work goals. The ability to analyze information, formulate diverse solutions and make decisions using logic to address work-related issues is required.
This is a remote, work from home position, with regular or intermittent visits to the work location (Cheshire, CT) and community events throughout different communities in Connecticut especially underserved communities. Will be working as needed at CIFC Greater Danbury Community Health Center, Generations Family Health Center, and United Community Family Services. The incumbent may regularly perform work in an office environment as well as at FQHC and community sites. During regular operations, travel (up to 70%) may be required to attend meetings and community events throughout the state. Will be required to utilize their personal vehicle to drive to FQHC’s and community sites.
This position description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. The Association reserves the right to modify, change or add to the position’s job duties and responsibilities as business needs may require. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
CHCACT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities. CHCACT considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does CHCACT discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
How to Apply
Please contact Silvia Taylor
Please contact Silvia Taylor