The Community Health Center Association of Connecticut (“CHCACT”) is a membership association comprised of community health centers, all of whom provide comprehensive health care to the people of Connecticut and beyond. The Association, with headquarters in Cheshire, Connecticut is a recognized national leader in the provision of technical assistance and training in practice transformation and quality improvement. Our team of professionals is dedicated to strengthening and supporting the clinical and operational performance of community health centers. Our mission is to advance and align the work of health centers, with stakeholders, to improve the health and wellness of all.
The individuals comprising our Association are the source of our creativity, reputation, and vitality. Every position here at CHCACT is critical to our ability to achieve our shared objectives. Each time we hire a new staff member, we are given the chance to enhance the community and to demonstrate CHCACT’s values of accountability, diversity, respect, and responsibility. We do this by using fair, legal, inclusive, and effective hiring practices that support and comply with CHCACT’s policy and the applicable State and Federal laws in a way that is mindful of climate, culture and diversity, and by affirming the unique qualities of each individual throughout the hiring process.
POSITION SUMMARY & FUNCTIONS:
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Vice President of Finance provides fiscal oversight and management for the organization. They will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities. The Vice President of Finance will direct and oversee the financial activities of the corporation, direct the preparation of current financial reports and summaries, and create forecasts predicting future growth. The position will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Oversee daily accounting and financial functions, including General Accounting, Financial Statement Preparation, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Cash Management.
- Provide direction and planning for the maintenance of fiscal records and preparation of financial reports that summarize and forecast CHCACT’s activity and financial position.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and follow GAAP and applicable federal regulations.
- Provide leadership and oversight of grants management to ensure timely completion, filing and reimbursement of grant funds.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Program Teams and FQHCs on grant/contract budget development, management, and reporting.
- Responsible for fiscal reporting, budget presentation and updates of other required fiscal activities to the CEO, the Finance Committee, the Audit Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Prepares CHCACT annual budgets.
- Negotiate indirect cost rate with HHS and update CHCACT Cost Allocation plan when required.
- Provide resources and training/technical assistance to FQHCs on topics identified for improvement or on issues specifically requested by FQHCs.
- Oversee the annual audit and compliance.
- Directs the preparation of all financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, cash flows reports, tax returns, governmental agency reports, and budgets.
- Compares revenue projections to actual figures and budgeted expenses to actual expenses; makes or oversees any necessary adjustments to future projections and budgets.
- Reviews planning process and suggests improvements to current methods.
- Works with other department heads to monitor each department’s expenditures and make recommendations related to expenses, financial processes, and standards as well as recommendations of finance and accounting standards.
- Analyzes operations to identify areas in need of reorganization, downsizing, or elimination.
- Works with the CEO and other executives as part of the Senior Leadership Team to coordinate planning and establish priorities for the planning process. Participate in Strategic Planning activities.
- Oversees investment of funds and works with investment bankers to raise additional capital required for expansion as needed.
- Work collaboratively with both internal staff and external organizations.
- Exercise prudent judgment and confidentiality regarding association, member, and client information.
- Recruit, supervise, train, provide feedback, coach, and evaluate direct report staff.
- Travel to in-state member sites as required
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position oversees the Accounting, Finance, and Audit functions and activities of the Association and has direct supervisory responsibilities of the following positions: Budget and Finance Manager and Accounts Specialist. The individual in this position works with other department heads to monitor each department and make recommendations related to financial processes and standards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to read, comprehend, write, and speak English fluently.
- Must have a professional demeanor and the ability to lead groups and present materials effectively.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Able to communicate complex information clearly and succinctly, both in writing and orally in multiple formats.
- Expert knowledge of Accounting/finance within a grant-based environment.
- Must be able to build strong relationships and work collaboratively with all levels of individuals across the organization and within various agencies, FQHC leaders, advocates, community partners and other stakeholders.
- Proficient in database and accounting computer application systems including ability to work with Financial systems. MIP experience a plus.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, Outlook), Zoom and Internet. SharePoint experience a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to proactively recommend effective solutions.
- Must be highly detail-oriented and have excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task, manage and prioritize various and differing projects, as well as work effectively toward numerous deadlines.
- Show initiative in resolving issues/challenges proactively and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- High degree of independence, flexibility, initiative, and commitment is required.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate. Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and must successfully complete a motor vehicle history check.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance desired. A Certified Public Accountant designation preferred. Experience in lieu of degree will be considered. Eight to ten years of demonstrated skills and experience in financial management in progressively responsible financial leadership roles required. Not for profit as well as Federally Qualified Health Center financial expertise preferred.
PHYSICAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to use computers and office equipment, manipulate documents and move about the office. The employee may experience prolonged periods of sitting. The employee may occasionally move materials up to 25 pounds, and must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facility. This position requires driving a personal vehicle on behalf of CHCACT.
The position requires above average interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Must have the ability to effectively speak before groups and present training to all types of audiences.
MENTAL DEMANDS AND REASONING ABILITIES:
Job requires the ability to focus, attention to detail as well as thoroughness in completing work goals. The ability to analyze information, formulate diverse solutions and make decisions using logic to address work-related issues is required.
This position is required to work from the office location (Cheshire, CT). Individual must have the ability to work from their home when needed. The incumbent will regularly perform work in an office environment as well as at FQHC sites. Travel (up to 20%) may be required to travel to visit member FQHC’s or attend meetings throughout the state of CT. Will be required to utilize their personal vehicle when traveling within the State of CT.
This position description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. The Association reserves the right to modify, change or add to the position’s job duties and responsibilities as business needs may require. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
CHCACT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities. CHCACT considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does CHCACT discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Please email Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like a copy of the full Job Description.
How to Apply