This Week in CHCACTion!
June 10, 2019
This Week in CHCACTivities
We have recently concluded the 2019 session of the CT General Assembly. Thanks to all of the advocates who testified on bills, met with legislators, wrote emails, made phone calls, and solicited support for health centers!
A couple of highlights from this legislative session:
- The state budget was passed on time and provides continued support for HUSKY, mental health initiatives, and school-based health centers. HUSKY income limits for parents will increase, from 155% to 160% of federal poverty level - allowing an estimated 4,000 additional parents access to this important program.
- Mobile dental vans will be able to travel thirty miles from the dental site - and 50 miles in rural parts of the state - to expand access to oral health care.
- The state will create a certification program for Community Health Workers.
- Minors will have access to PrEP, providing them with options for the prevention of HIV/AIDS.
- And, importantly, CHCACT worked with legislators to create and have the first meeting of the Community Health Center Caucus, a bipartisan, bicameral group of legislators who will help raise awareness of and support for health centers. Thanks to Senators Saud Anwar and George Logan, and Representatives Jay Case and Chris Rosario for co-chairing!
As always, a few items did not make it through the legislature, including definite, sustained payments for eConsults, and efforts to enhance physician recruitment.
CHCACT will continue to work on these initiatives in the off-session, and bring them back next year!
Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions,
This Week in Social Media
This Week in Funding Opportunities
This Week in Health Policy News
Here is a sampling of health policy news from around the state. If you see something in your local newspaper that you would like featured here in future weeks, please contact Deb Polun at email@example.com. Check out all the Health Policy News from the past month here!
6.4.19 New Haven Independent — Primary Care Hub Wins Key City Sign-Off (feat. Cornell Scott-Hill, Fair Haven)
6.4.19 Journal Inquirer — Health Care Execs Talk Community Health Needs (feat. Wheeler Clinic)
6.6.19 CT by the Numbers — Task Force to Review Mental Health Services for College Students Approved by Legislature
6.4.19 CT Latino News — What Does the Surge of Measles Mean to CT’s Hispanic/Latino Population?
6.6.19 CT NewsJunkie — Lamont Promises to Continue Work on Health Reform
6.5.19 NPR — Opinion – How Doctors Can Stop Stigmatizing – And Start Helping – Kids With Obesity
6.5.19 USA Today — CVS Turning 1,500 Stores into HealthHUB Locations, With Less Retail, More Health Care
6.4.19 NPR — How A Fight Over Beef Jerky Reveals Tensions Over SNAP In The Trump Era
Events & Educational Opportunities
Community Health Connections: Linking Resources in the Fight against Sexual and Intimate Partner ViolenceOctober 25 @ 8:15 am - 1:30 pm
Target BP Webinar: Translating AHA’s New Scientific Statement on the Measurement of Blood Pressure into Practice (Enduring Webinar)November 13
- November 15 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- December 20 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm