- Under indirect supervision, provides independent care to a specified population of Adult Psychiatric patients.
- Provides consultation and advice to others as a highly-specialized practitioner.
- Must be able to work in collaboration with a Psychiatrist and licensed clinical practitioner (Psychiatric practice).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs psychiatric assessments and evaluations, diagnoses, treatment, follow-up, consultation, medication management, and Behavioral Health education services to Behavioral Health patients.
- Ability to utilize DSM IV-TR currently and DSM V after October 1, 2015.
- Obtains patient histories and develops appropriate Behavioral Health patient care plans, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Orders appropriate lab tests for therapeutic drug monitoring and urine toxicology screening.
- Provides Behavioral Health education to students, staff, and groups within area of specialty.
- Provides direct supervision and oversight to the Behavioral Health Nurse Coordinator.
- Administers specific Behavioral Health care activities, as appropriate.
- May participate in planning Behavioral Health programs and in developing specific Behavioral Health policies and procedures.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Director of Behavioral Health.
- Participates as an active member of the Behavioral Health Multi-Disciplinary Team which is responsible for the clinical oversight of diagnostic procedures and treatment plans in collaboration with Behavioral Health team members.
- Must qualify to be credentialed as an independent practitioner in order to
- Certify services for third party reimbursement
- Obtain necessary pre-authorizations to treat Behavioral Health patient; and
- Meet those requirements identified by managed care organizations including but not limited to:
- documentation requirements
- telephonic treatment reviews
- conduct treatment appeals; and
- review of results of lab testing or other medical consultations ordered
- Participation in internal and external quality management initiatives and reviews
- Peer Chart Reviews Documentation of Behavioral Health records.
- May be designated to represent the Behavioral Health Department on various StayWell Quality Management committees including but not limited to the StayWell Performance Improvement Committee.
- Participation in preparation activities for external quality reviews including but not limited to federal, state, and/or grant funded programs.
- Provision of emergency on-call coverage and/or making provisions available during periods of absence.
Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and / or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
Work is normally performed in a typical/office work environment. It involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
JOB SPECIFICATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be Board Certified as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing from an accredited school of nursing.
- Six (6) months to one (1) year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Must be certified for Family and Adult practice.
- Must hold Federal and State Controlled Substances Licenses
- Must register or be registered with CT PMP.
- CPR Certified (BLS)
- Basic Annual Safety Training *Bloodborne Pathogen *Hazard Communication (Area-Specific) *Infectious Waste *Tuberculosis
- Pursues continuing education opportunities to update medical and psychiatric knowledge to assure quality patient care while maintaining current certification/licensure for RN, APRN, and State and Federal DEA licenses.
- Must be credentialed per StayWell policies and procedures
- Knowledge of health education theory and practice relating to Behavioral Health.
- Knowledge of and experience with of current principals, methods and procedures for the delivery of Behavioral Health services: including but not limited to assessment and evaluation, diagnosis, medication management and treatment.
- Experience in Adult Outpatient Psychiatric Services. Geri-psych services experience a plus.
- Knowledge of patient care charts and patient histories
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments where appropriate.
- Knowledge of clinical operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Staff member is required to have a cell phone available for job functions.
- Computer and electronic medical records skills
- Ability to adapt to scheduling changes
- Responsive to and able to assist patients who present with multiple problems
- Sensitivity to cultural issues and differences
Ability to communicate effectively in English required; bilingual Spanish/English desirable.
How to Apply
StayWell Health Center