Job Title: Nurse, HIV and Infectious Disease Program
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Nursing
Job Purpose: To enhance the health and wellness of HIV-positive and LGBTQ individuals in our commu-nity by providing affirmative, high quality health care, patient education, support and advocacy. To provide health education and support to patients to maintain health and wellness, manage acute and chronic illness, and adhere to medications and treatment plans. To provide clinical support to Medical Di-rector of HIV and Infectious Disease Program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works in close partnership with all HIV and Infectious Disease Program staff to provide an affirmative, inclusive and respectful environment for all patients, with a focus on HIV positive and LGBTQ individuals.
- Works in close partnership with the Director of the HIV and Infectious Disease Program in all aspects of medical care including maintaining current patient health information, scheduling patient appointments and referrals, educating patients regarding treatment protocols and individual care plans, and assisting with medication adherence.
- Conducts patient visits for medication adherence visits, hepatitis C and HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) follow-up.
- Receives internal and external referrals for HIV prevention and care, Hepatitis C, Infectious Disease, and LGBTQ health care.
- Performs HIV and STI education and testing at all FHCHC locations, including school based health centers.
- Oversees patient enrollment in Hepatitis C treatment protocol including prior authorization for treatment medication and laboratory monitoring.
- Oversees patient enrollment in HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) protocol including laboratory monitoring, appointments and medication refills every 3 months
- Reviews patient laboratory tests and flags abnormal results to Medical Director
- Provides clinical support to Medical Director during clinic sessions including medication reconciliation and adherence, health maintenance screening and vaccinations, and specialty referrals
- Addresses medication refills, medication prior authorizations, releases of information, copying and faxing patient related documents
- Assists Program Manager with data verification in CareWare
- Responds to patient phone calls, text messages and clinic walk-in requests and communicates necessary information to relevant staff member.
- Provides oversite and support to Clinical Patient Navigator during and after clinic sessions
- Works with Medical Case Managers to reduce barriers to HIV care and increase access to essential services such as housing, transportation, and legal aid.
- Develops relationships with HIV positive and LGBTQ patients and support networks that are culturally competent and sensitive.
- Builds awareness among HIV and LGBTQ patients of health care services and community resources.
- Organize community events around HIV, Infectious Disease and LGBTQ health issues
- Supports transgender patients with hormone therapy and navigating gender surgery appointments and requirements.
- Helps patients and health care team to identify and address barriers to care including misinformation and/or perceived stigma and discrimination.
- Works with Medical Director of HIV and Infectious Disease on Clinical Quality Improvement Projects
- Prepares for and participates in HRSA Ryan White site visits
- Represents FHCHC at meetings of New Haven Mayor’s Task Force on AIDS
- Represents FHCHC at community events such as AIDS Walk New Haven.
Qualifications and Skills:
Knowledge, ability, and sound judgment to independently make minor decisions about patient medical care, coordinate communication between patient, provider, and pharmacies, make referrals, enter data and carry out administrative tasks as requested.
Strong knowledge base of medical terminology and procedures, particularly those that relate to LGBTQ, HIV, and Hepatitis C prevention and care.
Effective communication skills and ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and work with all personnel and patients regardless of age, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identify and gender expression.
Enthusiasm for problem solving in a fast paced work environment.
Basic Computer Skills
Previous experience in HIV, LGBTQ, and/or Hepatitis C Clinical Care
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and CV/resume directly to Ms. Sylviana Lopez, Director, Human Resources, at s.lopez at fhchc.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fair Haven Community Health Care