The Medical Director- Behavioral Health Services will oversee the medical aspects and medical staff of the BH Department and will work closely with the BH Administrator to assist with the integration of behavioral health services and staff at Optimus Healthcare, Inc., (OHC) while providing comprehensive behavioral health care to a diverse and underserved patient population. In performing this work, the medical director will ensure the execution of our mission to provide high quality, safe, culturally appropriate, financially and physically accessible health services to the medically underserved and people of all ages to who we provide care to. We anticipate that this position will dedicate 70% of his/her time on direct patient care and 30% of his/her time on Administrative duties.
This position is responsible for the overall management of the behavioral health medical staff as it pertains to clinical issues. Additionally, this position will have oversight and development of activities depending upon need. This position provides guidance and consultation to administration, providers, and nursing staff regarding the role and development of behavioral health services and represents OHC behavioral health medical services in the community.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSBILITIES
- Knowledge of the assessment and treatment of the full range of mental disorders including familiarity with the use of psychotropic medications. This includes skills in assessments and report writing, counseling (short term treatment and crisis intervention), support group organization and facilitation, and consultation).
- Working knowledge of the local community mental health resources.
- Knowledge of and commitment to providing care in an integrated model in which behavioral health providers work in collaboration with primary care Providers, psychiatrists and nursing staff to treat patients.
- Excellent managerial skills with the ability to plan, organize and follow through in a timely manner.
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance in a supervisory role and the flexibility to function as a team member at the management level.
- Knowledge of legal requirements associated with the provision of mental health services, i.e. HIPAA, responding to requests from legal authorities, court orders, and the like regarding patient information and testimony.
- Knowledge of general medical practice models and processes such as office procedures, medical records, and health insurance billing.
- Provide liaison with outside agencies, clinicians and professional staff as needed.
- Consult with professional staff regarding patient care as needed.
- Maintain patient documentation in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Actively participate in Performance Improvement activities and projects as requested by Director.
- Regularly assess the mental status of patients to determine acuity of illness and danger to self or others, and takes immediate action, if needed.
EDUCATION: Board Certified in Psychiatry or Eligible for certification.
- Five plus years of direct clinical experience with community health populations, preferably working in an integrated model.
- Two or more years of experience supervising and mentoring employees, including experience as an approved Supervisor.
- Two or more years in behavioral health program administration, preferably in a medical clinic setting.
- Experience administrating Medicare and Medicaid programs preferred
- Administrative tasks, clinical programming, consultant and delivery of clinical supervision.
- Sound clinical skills in providing clinical evaluations, crisis intervention treatment, diagnostic and treatment planning skills and the delivery of brief cognitive-behavioral therapy to a wide range of patients and modalities (individual, couples and groups).
- Team building skills
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Facilitation of medical Spanish helpful
- LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION: Licensed to practice psychiatry in the State of Connecticut
OPTIMUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
How to Apply
Optimus Health Care