Job Title: Dental Hygienist – School Based Health Center
Position Type: 10-month
Reports to: Dental Health Program Manager
Provides dental care to school aged children in grades K-12, assists in planning dental treatment. Provides day to day dental care under the Smiles 2 Go operations and staff, and assists in developing and enhancing clinical services and referral network.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Mobile Dental Hygienist will adhere to a 10-month working schedule and will follow the New Haven Public School system calendar. The Hygienist will work with portable dental equipment within the designated school based health centers.
- Provides oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, sealant application,
- fluoride application, x-rays, referrals. Obtain oral health assessment of each patient.
- Provides and assists in planning and delivering dental care for children.
- Provides oral health education to students, their families and the community regarding proper oral hygiene.
- Detailed documentation of all pertinent information
- Responsible for set-up, care and maintenance of portable dental equipment
- Adheres to all departmental policies and procedures
- Must adhere to strict Infection Control Guidelines
- Maintain positive working environment among peers and all school faculty
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Three years experience as a dental hygienist
- Familiarity with dental billing and coding procedures
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, management, and team building skills, both written and oral.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish Preferred
- Graduate of an accredited Dental Hygienist program
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Maintains current Connecticut Registered Dental Hygiene license
- Current CPR certification
OSHA Status—Category I Increased Risk Position
Potential exposure to hazardous waste and blood borne pathogens, clinical setting
Americans with Disabilities Act Requirements:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific functions (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case by case basis.
Essential Physical/Mental Demands:
Physical Demands: Requires walking, bending, sitting, standing, writing, reading, telephone use, data input into computer, pulling medical records,
Mental Demands: Ability to cope with continual changing priorities under potentially stressful conditions