Outstanding healthcare opportunity
We are looking for passionate, caring individuals who are interested improving the health of the Fair Haven community. For over 40 years, FHCHC has been a leader in health care in Connecticut and is focused on providing excellent, affordable primary care to all patients, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay. FHCHC is proud to have a diverse and motivated team of professionals who are constantly seeking ways to enhance and improve the health and well-being of all patients.
Job Title: Clinical Assistant
Position Type: Per Diem
Reports to: Team Nurse
Job Purpose: Clinical Assistants work with clinicians and nurses to provide high quality, cost effective medical care to patients in a medical home that is consistent with Fair Haven Community Health Center (FHCHC) policies and missions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Deliver excellent Primary Care in a Patient Centered Medical Home
- Anticipate the needs of the patient and clinician and prepare patients in an efficient and productive manner for smooth, consistent workflow.
- Prepare patients in advance of seeing the clinician as appropriate based on the visit type, chief complaint and clinician’s preference.
- Perform tasks related to the visit that may include: documentation of chief complaint, review of medications and allergies, vital signs, initiating preventive health screenings based on the age and sex of the patient, perform lab testing and/or procedures with a clinician order or per standing orders.
- Answer and document incoming patient calls and respond to patients under the direction of the nurse and clinician.
- Assist with administrative tasks as needed for patient care including but not limited to completing patient forms, scheduling patient appointments, scanning, and pulling paper charts.
- Perform interpreting services (if approved as a Spanish Language Interpreter)
- Perform other necessary duties as required by FHCHC to achieve the goal of providing excellent primary health care in a Medical Home.
Collaborate with the Patient Care Team
- Participate in Pod Functions such as huddles and Pod Meetings.
- Participate in Team and Departmental Meetings.
Positively contribute to Fair Haven Community Health Center
- Ensure patient confidentiality and safety.
- Adhere to all Health, Safety and Infection Control Protocols.
- Provide excellent customer service and culturally competent care.
- Engage in performance improvement activities and act as an agent of positive change by looking for innovative ways to improve processes and advance clinical excellence.
- Positively represent FHCHC to internal and external clients.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability and excellent skills to independently carry out assignments, take vital signs, complete various forms, and utilize appropriate infection control techniques.
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology and relevant procedures.
- Excellent written, electronic and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Above average critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Portray a pleasant and respectful attitude when: communicating with coworkers, patients, and internal and external clients; accepting direction and delegated tasks; and receiving constructive criticism.
- Strong computer skills.
- Oral and written proficiency in English.
- Bi-lingual with fluency in Spanish required.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma
- Training and Certification as a Medical Assistant
- 2 years work experience in primary care preferred
OSHA Status—Category I Increased Risk Position
Potential exposure to a hazardous waste and bloodborne pathogens, clinical setting
Americans with Disabilities Act Requirements:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific functions (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case by case basis.
Essential Physical/Mental Demands:
Physical Demands: Requires walking, bending, sitting, standing, writing, reading, telephone use, data input into computer, pulling medical records,
Mental Demands: Ability to cope with continual changing priorities under potentially stressful conditions
Manual Dexterity Required: Ability to use a keyboard, telephone