Clinical Assistants work with clinicians and nurses to provide high quality, cost effective medical care to patients in a medical home that is consistent with Fair Haven Community Health Center (FHCHC) policies and missions.
Duties and responsibilities
- Anticipate the needs of the patient and clinician and prepare patients in an efficient and productive manner for smooth, consistent workflow.
- Prepare patients in advance of seeing the clinician as appropriate based on the visit type, chief complaint and clinician’s preference.
- Perform tasks related to the visit that may include: documentation of chief complaint,review of medications and allergies, vital signs, initiating preventive health screenings based on the age and sex of the patient, perform lab testing and/or procedures with a clinician order or per standing orders.
- Answer and document incoming patient calls and respond to patients under the direction of the nurse and clinician.
- Assist with administrative tasks as needed for patient care including but not limited to completing patient forms, scheduling patient appointments, scanning, and pulling paper charts.
- Perform interpreting services (if approved as a Spanish Language Interpreter)
- Perform other necessary duties as required by FHCHC to achieve the goal of providing excellent primary health care in a Medical Home.
- Participate in Pod Functions such as huddles and Pod Meetings.
- Participate in Team and Departmental Meetings.
- Ensure patient confidentiality and safety.
- Adhere to all Health, Safety and Infection Control Protocols.
- Provide excellent customer service and culturally competent care.
- Engage in performance improvement activities and act as an agent of positive change by looking for innovative ways to improve processes and advance clinical excellence.
- Positively represent FHCHC to internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated ability and excellent skills to independently carry out assignments, take vital signs, complete various forms, and utilize appropriate infection control techniques.
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology and relevant procedures.
- Excellent written, electronic and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Above average critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Portray a pleasant and respectful attitude when: communicating with coworkers, patients, and internal and external clients; accepting direction and delegated tasks; and receiving constructive criticism.
- Strong computer skills.
- Oral and written proficiency in English.
- Bi-lingual with fluency in Spanish preferred.
- High School Diploma
- Training and Certification as a Medical Assistant
- 2 years work experience in primary care preferred