Supports dentist in delivering primary dental care, prepares equipment and workplace for use, and contributes to supportive atmosphere for dental patients. Uses chairside, four- handed dentistry techniques. The Dental Assistant is also responsible for sterilization, preparation, and inventory control of dental instruments and supplies.
- Prepares treatment areas before and after each patient.
- Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
- Performs pre and post treatment setup/cleanup procedures for each patient according to Staywell Health Care’s Infection Control.
- Prepares patients for dental procedures by using effective communication skills for pre and post op procedures.
- Assists dentist at chair side using 4-handed techniques.
- Performs independent patient services, as directed, including patient triage, radiograph, impressions, suture removal, temporary fillings, re-cement crowns and laboratory work.
- Maintains dental treatment area, equipment and instruments in proper working order.
- Strictly follows and maintains all Dental Department areas in compliance with all safety issues, exposure and infection control standards at all times.
- Exposes, develops, mounts, and saves dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department directive and protocol.
- Observe radiation safety standards for staff and patients.
- Maintains Dental Department equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s directions and Dental Department policy and protocol.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive, center policy as well as state and federal regulations.
- Insures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment in accordance with Dental Department directive and protocol.
- Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
- Demonstrate respect and dignity for patients and staff at all times.
- Works as an effective team member to promote efficient patient care for maximum productivity.
- Updates MSDS and Infection Control Logbook as needed
Requires good manual dexterity and fine motor coordination, good vision, physical mobility and flexibility; good reflexes; light lifting required. Must be able to move throughout the workday. Must be able to speak and write English language in an understandable manner. Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position. Must possess sight and hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met. Must meet the general health requirements set forth by the policies of StayWell. Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and, at times, hostile people within the facility. Must be able to push, pull, move, and/or lift a minimum of 40 pounds. May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of patients during emergency situations.
Potential exposure to blood borne pathogen through direct patient contact. Must follow OSHA standards and Universal Precautions at all times.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS AND QUALIFICATONS
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Graduate of accredited Dental Assisting School or 2 years dental experience in general dentistry.
- Certificate in Dental Radiology by DANB
- A commitment to preventive dental care
- Knowledge and interest in providing care to diverse patient population
- Knowledgeable about instruments, materials and techniques used for all procedures.
- Able to handle confidential patient medical and financial records daily.
- Maintain confidentiality of employee PHI according to policies.
- Ability to attend to multiple tasks at the same time and to prioritize assignments and responsibilities to ensure compliance with established deadlines and protocols.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English are required. Effective oral communication skills in Spanish preferred.
How to Apply
StayWell Health Center