Schedule: Full Time
The Medical Assistant is an integral part of the team concept in Wheeler’s health delivery system, which is devoted to the delivery of integrated primary care in an ambulatory setting with emphases on prevention and health maintenance. This position helps patients by providing information, services and assistance. The Medical Assistant supports the clinical staff in performing their duties, maintaining clinic environment to care and carry out the necessary functions required in accordance with established policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS
High school diploma and graduation from an accredited medical assistant program, or other equally qualified medical certification required. One year of progressively responsible related work experience or successful completion of the Wheeler Clinic MA internship program, as evaluated by supervising nurse or supervisor required. Knowledge of medical terminology and familiarity with EHRs is required.
Demonstrates exceptional customer service, appropriate phone etiquette and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment. Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Exhibits strong verbal and written communication skills and analytical and problem solving abilities. Ability to acquire and maintain CPR certification within 90 days of date of hire.
Current program needs require the ability to fluently communicate in English and Spanish.
Wheeler provides equitable access to innovative care that improves health, recovery and growth at all stages of life.
Wheeler Clinic offers access to a comprehensive array of benefits, including:
For Good Health
- Anthem Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA), with company contribution of up to $500 per year
- Wellness Programs
- Free annual flu shots
For a Secure Future
- Company paid Life and AD&D insurance
- Company paid long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Plan, with clinic contributions for eligible employees
For Career Advancement
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Training and development opportunities
For Work Life Balance
- Generous paid time off, including vacation, sick and personal leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)- Free and confidential counseling
- Employee discounts at local spa and on cell phone services
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shows patient to examination rooms and prepares them for MD, APRN, PA.
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patient, recording medical history, review of medications, screening tools; confirming purpose of the visit and enters in to medical record.
- Obtains patients vital signs, height and weight and enters into the medical record.
- Maintains effective and organized systems to ensure timely patient flow.
- Performs phlebotomy and prepares specimens for laboratory analysis based on programmatic need.
- Performs medical support tasks under the supervision of APRN, RN.
- Gives instructions to patients as instructed by MD, APRN.
- Ensures all related reports, labs and information is filed is available in patients’ medical records prior to their appointment.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; trouble shooting breakdowns; maintain supplies; performing preventative maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Takes telephone messages and provides feedback and answers to patient/MD/ APRN/PA/pharmacy calls.
- Triages and processes messages from patients and front office staff to MD, APRN, PA.
- Maintains all logs and required checks (e.g., refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, cold sterilization fluid change).
- Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Must be able to pass a respirator fit test at time of hire and on annual basis.
- Adheres to strict infection control practices to maintain a clean, orderly environment, using clinic approved disinfectants to clean and disinfect surfaces and work environments after each patient visit and each equipment used per manufacturer recommendations, including patient care areas, the laboratory, or other areas as needed.
- Maintains adequate supply of hand hygiene supplies and personal protective equipment throughout the health and wellness center as needed.
- Continues to develop knowledge and understanding about the history, traditions, values, family systems, and artistic expression of groups served as well as uses appropriate methodological approaches, skills, and techniques that reflect an understanding of culture.
Wheeler Clinic is an EO Employer-M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
How to Apply